Cambridge University now offers the Gates Scholarship 2022-2023 to all students interested in studying at Cambridge.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship at Cambridge University, which will be awarded to 80 lucky applicants in 2022, will be considered as most talented students in the university’s graduate programme. The Gates Scholarship is only available to international students and is well fully funded.
Gates’ fully funded scholarships are also responsible for the non-academic costs of its recipients. Twenty-five of the Gates Cambridge scholarships were awarded to candidates from the United States, while 55 Gates scholarships are provided to other foreign candidates.
Aspiring candidates from around the world can submit their applications for bill gates Cambridge scholarship. Sixty-five per cent of the awards go to doctoral students. Students who have received M.Sc, Doctorate, Master’s or one-year postgraduate diplomas at Cambridge University but have not yet started can apply for gates Cambridge scholarships.
Introduction to Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme was established in October 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
Each year Gates Cambridge offers c.80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
There are at least 225 Scholars from c. 50 countries studying in Cambridge at any one time who pursue the full range of subjects available at the university and are spread across its departments and Colleges.
The Gates Cambridge mission is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others. It aims to achieve this mission by selecting outstanding scholars, providing them with financial and non-financial support at one of the world’s leading universities, and facilitating community building at and beyond Cambridge.
Benefits of The Gates Cambridge Scholarship
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding.
The University Full Tuition Fee is covered
A maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,500 for 12 months at the 2020-21 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years. The amount can vary from year to year.
One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
- Some extra Amount will be given to those students who faces hardships while study in Cambridge.
- 500-2000 GBP will be given as academic development fund.
- Bill gates Cambridge Scholarship also covers the family expenses of 10,120 GBP with one child. 14,440 for those students who have more than two children. The expenses of the spouse is not included in this scholarship.
- Doctoral students will get field work funding while their research.
- Scholars will also the paternity and maternity funds
- 6 months leave will be provided to the students who will give birth while studying in the university.
* The University Composition Fee varies for different types of students; applicants should see the Graduate Studies prospectus for full details about precise amounts. Where a student from the European Union has been successful in gaining a fees award from public authorities they must accept this and the Trust will not pay these fees.
Who can apply?
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge (PhD, MSc/MLitt, One year postgraduate course (with some exceptions).
- Current international and local students who want to pursue their studies in the Cambridge university can apply for Bill gates Cambridge scholarship.
- Those students who are already pursuing these programs are not allowed to apply for Gates Cambridge scholarship:(Bachelors programs, Postgraduate in education, Master’s in Business Administration, Doctoral of Medicine, Doctoral in Business administration, MS in Finance etc).
- Students who can not avail this scholarship can apply to another fully-funded scholarship offered by the university of Cambridge.
Procedure & Required Documents for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Candidates must fill the online application at the official website of the university of Cambridge. You can find the official link at the end of this article.
The committee of the university of Cambridge will ask for the following documents form the applicants
- Personal statement
Personal statement is a 500 word document where you have to explain the reason of applying for the scholarship. You have to explain these three questions. Why you are applying for the Gates Cambridge scholarship? why you think you deserve this? why it is needed for you?
This is one of the mandatory requirement for the students who are applying for the doctoral degree. In research proposal you have to discuss the ideas about the research topic you are going to conduct while studying. You can write about its importance, background and methods in this piece of work.
- Reference Letters
Two letters from your previous university are required to apply for this scholarship, These letters will be given by the professor of your previous university. Where they will recommend you for this scholarship. This is just to proof that you are eligible for this scholarship and has been referred by the higher authorities of your past university.
Transcripts of your highest degree obtained are neccessary to apply for this scholarship. The transcripts should be notarized.
How to Apply?
Applicants submit their application for admission and funding (Gates Cambridge and other funding) via the University’s Graduate Application Portal.
To be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship you must complete the section to apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section. Gates Cambridge has access to the full application for admission and funding when reviewing applications.
Deadline For the Gates Cambridge scholarship
The deadline for applying for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2022 is September 30, 2021. The ranking of the subjectwise departments are between December and February of each year.
Applicants who receive a scholarship at the end of March must accept or reject it within 72 hours of receipt of the scholarship.
For more information and to apply online visit the official website of the Gates Cambridge trust.